Nov 18, 2016 00:00
In our previous bulletin, stewardship, we learnt that stewardship is being entrusted with the management of another’s property. We also learned that a steward is a manager not an owner, and in understanding tithing we learn the reasons and the benefits for tithing.
Now we'll look at other forms of giving.
Blessed to be a Blessing
The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. ”I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”Genesis 12:1-3 (NIV)
Be informed that according to God’s Standards we are already blessed! Ephesians 1:3 brings it clear that God has blessed you! Past tense — He has already done it! Knowing that we are blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ also means that you are supernaturally empowered to do whatever God has called you to do; to be whoever God has called you to be; and to have whatever God has called you to have. God’s blessing is what empowers us to be what he wants us to be! The key issue is this: you have to believe it in order to receive it.
What does the Bible say about other forms of giving, through the many gifts God has blessed us with in the body of Christ? Find out what does the Bible say in the whole chapter of 1 Cor 12 about the spiritual gifts.
Are there gifts that are evidently felt applicable in our fellowship as gifts of service to the body of Jesus Christ, e.g.
- Prophecy: 2 Chronicles 20:20; Matthew 10:4.
- Service/Act of Serving: 1 Samuel 2:30b God honors those who honor Him. He’ll never forget the seeds of loyalty you sow. He’ll multiply them and give them back to you in a harvest of blessing. Look at Malachi 3:17, Malachi 3:13 – 17.
- Act of Teaching: Modeling our lives is the best teaching Genesis 8:22 Instill great virtues in the lives of your children and those around you.2 Chronicles 25:5 - 9 (NKJV) – God of Limitless Possibilities.
- Act of encouragement: Hebrews 3:12 - 13 (NIV); Examine the Life of Barnabas Acts 9:26–27 (NIV) –How often do you Help others to win?
- Giving: Time, Talent Treasures (3Ts). Do you value the time, talents and treasure you give to God?
- Providing leadership where required and needed: Three positions a leader need to be:
- Among the people (to identify their felt need) Exodus 17:4
- Ahead of the people (to give direction and guidance as a vision carrier) Exodus 17:5
- Above the people – two fold
- Has power and influence
- Need to be supported and to be effective. Exodus 17:8 – 13.
- Act of Compassion :examine the life of Tabitha/Dorcas – Acts 9:36 – 40 (NIV)
In Conclusion: Ask yourself this important question. Am I an effective pillar and supporter in the house of the Lord?