Dec 16, 2016 00:00
…blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies.Gen. 22:17 (NKJV)
And they blessed Rebekah and said to her: " Our sister, may you become The mother of thousands of ten thousands; And may your descendants possess The gates of those who hate them."Gen. 24:60 (NKJV)
- God spoke to Abraham at the point of offering Isaac and said “because of what you have shown, I will make your descendants possess the gates of their enemies”.
- At the release of Rebekah as Isaac’s wife, her people spoke these words too.
- A gate is an entry or exit point. It is a control point where you allow in or out of a place. It’s a point of access, a place where decisions are made.
- A gate is therefore a very key place, more so in our lives. He who mans the gate is the AUTHORITY holder.
Possessing the gates of our enemies is a spiritual "coup d'état", a military term meaning to overthrow. John 10:10, Mathew 11:12
It involves reclaiming what was originally ours. It is an undertaking that requires made up mind with a clear focus without wavering.
Few Facts About Possessing:
- Possessing is a journey, not an event.
- Everyone likes possessing e.g. a powerful sermon on instant blessings, but apparently it’s a continual journey with its accompanying costs. Possession is therefore a lifestyle where we need to be totally sold out for God.
- Things to avoid in order to be a possessor.
- Prayerlessness: Prayer makes you tap in the realm of the Spirit, pray always.
- Double mindedness:To be decided on one direction but not two.
- Side shows:These are diverting and distracting issues from the main goal. Samson was a possessor but was distracted with serious consequences.
- What identifies possessor/attributes of a possessor?
- Selflessness: living for others, making things happen not for personal benefit but for Kingdom’s benefit.
- Incur costs for God: Doing things with no guaranteed payback, investing heavily without an assurance of return (Faith).
- Live present, not yesterday: Yesterday’s business takes a lot of our energy. For us to possess, we have to live today.
- How are we to possess the gates?
- Positioning ourselves: - Luke 5:5 - Taking the rightful position and approach.
- Changing the equation - Gal 3:3 - The Spirit must precede the carnal.
- Target and keeping focused. - In our pursuit, our target must be clear and not blurred.