Dec 10, 2016 00:00
Ephesians 6:10-18; 2 Corinthians 2:11
The spirit world is just as real as the physical world. It presents itself in various forms. We are in the fight of our lives. Yet at times hardly feel in danger. This conflict, however, is very real. Paul lays emphasis on the reality of this struggle, stressing that it is both difficult and dangerous. Will we never seriously put on the whole armor of God if we do not believe that this spiritual battle is real, difficult, and dangerous? We must worship all we can and walk with God all we can yet at the end of the day we are required to learn how to wage war in the heavenlies. We don’t always get what we deserve; we can only get that which we fight for.
Before anything can be manifested in the physical it has to be in the spiritual. Heb 11:3 What God showed you, about your ministry, the prophecy that came concerning your children, marriage, ministry etc. won’t come without a fight.
This is a book that has warfare illustrated very clearly in the last chapter. When Paul outlines the blessedness of the gospel in Ephesians 1-3, he intends to motivate us to live like God desires (Eph 4-6) — in the church, before the world, and within our families – regardless of the circumstances in which we find ourselves. Paul’s concluding incentive is found in Ephesians 6:10-20, and it begins with the following command: “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might” (Eph 6:10). The term “finally” identifies a transition and a conclusion. Paul’s final thought identifies the need and source for strength. His final remarks to the Ephesians which can also be ours are “be Strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
Strategy for Warfare
In verse 12-18 we are given a strategy for the war to be won we are reminded that we are fighting against principalities, rulers and powers.
- Girt your loins with truth: Let not lies be produced from you ( define loins)
- Breast plate of righteousness: cover your heart (Spirit) with the righteousness of God.
- Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace: Readiness to spread the gospel.
- The shield of faith to quench the fiery darts of the wicked: Illustrate a fiery dart Helmet of salvation: cover your mind since the battle always begins in the mind.
- Sword of the Spirit which is the word of God: Jesus used it to fight the tempter.
- Praying always with all prayers and supplication in the spirit and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.
We must identify what it is that is so precious to us that we are willing to stand and defend. All we need to defend is the knowledge of God’s word and the anointing that he has already given us.